Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Seeking Refreshment

Some days just kick your butt.  Some days you don't feel empowered, efficient or, heck, even adequate.  Yesterday was absolutely discouraging and disheartening.  Truth be told, I just wanted to give up.  I couldn't wait for bed time to be able to curl into a ball and forget it.

Can I get a witness?  Have you been there?

I was just over it.  Done.

When I got home the last thing I wanted to do was open God's Word.  I was even mad at Him.  But I was dry.  My Spirit was anemic and in need of Him.  So I turned to the book of Isaiah with a huge, heaving sigh (and probably an eye roll).

Isaiah says, "Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired.  His understanding is inscrutable.  He gives strength to the weary and to him who lacks might He increases power.  Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who fear the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary."  Isaiah 40:28-31
 
 
And my soul just exhaled!  My God does NOT GROW WEARY!!  When I am tired and battle worn; when I don't understand what I have seen in the world and my heart is breaking; when I feel I cannot go another step my God is not too tired to give me His strength. 
 
 
I picture myself when I am exhausted and my children want me to play.  Or when my oldest, who talks incessantly, begins a 30 minute story and all I want is to be left alone.  Sometimes I tell them I am too tired, that I need a few minutes to take a breath and then they can have my attention.
 
God doesn't do that!
 
God is the perfect Parent.  He is always ready for His children.  He is always ready to give comfort, to give encouragement or strength and He is always listening. 
 
And He is always ready to refresh.  Do you know what He gave me yesterday after I sat at His feet?  My loving Lord gave me a nap.
 
Oh how He loves us!  I spent that afternoon talking to God...okay...complaining to God and I truly believe He had to have been tired of the sound of my voice.  But He listened and He called me to Him. 
 
Hear this:  Sometimes I think we have a pity party in front of God and consider it praying.  But God had something else in mind.  He was calling me to His Presence.  And I had to get in the Word to get there.  Had to.  God was waiting for me and I needed to get to where He was! 
 
If we are going to receive what the Lord has for us we have to get to where He is!  Yes, He is always with us but we have to give Him our undivided attention.  I was so focused on myself and my heartache that I wasn't really listening to God. 
 
Don't let the enemy steal your time of refreshing!  Run to Him and let Him wrap you up in His love and His goodness.  Dive into His Word and let Him remind you of who He is and what He can do.  Wait on His goodness.  It will come like the rain. 
 
"So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord.  His going forth is as certain as the dawn; and He will come to us like the rain, like the spring rain watering the earth."  Hosea 6:3
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment